Tee-Hee… I just found this post on another blog of mine, from about a year and a half ago. It all still holds true today. I was looking for a Turkey Meatball recipe that I haven’t made in way too long… I still have to find it, but I do know where my paper copy is stored. Paper, what’s that? It’s a spotted and splatter-stained piece of paper, which, when it’s a recipe on there, usually means that it’s been well-used and well-received/eaten. That could be another rule in itself…
- I do not use black pepper. Never. Except maybe a pinhead’s worth in a clam chowder, but I’ve never made that myself, so it really doesn’t count. I think this all stems from an incident in my youth, whereupon (OK, I just had a deja vu as I was editing that word. Odd.) I climbed onto a kitchen chair, and got the black pepper out of the cabinet. I proceeded to exhale greatly, and then inhale the pepper, in an attempt to see if it really would make me sneeze. It did not. But it did make my nose all tingley and itchy and basically yucky. My eyes were watering, my nose was running, and it wasn’t pretty. Then I heard Mom from down the hall, “What are you doing?”. “Nothing, Mom.” Needless to say, I have a strong dislike for pepper.
- I rarely use mayonnaise. If a recipe calls for mayo, I will use plain yogurt instead. When I make tuna fish, I use the yogurt instead of the mayo. I did use vanilla yogurt once, which I had inadvertently purchased, but it wasn’t quite the same. I recommend only plain yogurt in one’s tuna.
- I do not generally like ricotta cheese. I use a lil bit of it in my lasagna primivera recipe, which I will share here one day. I’ll replace the ricotta with plain cottage cheese instead. It’s probably better for you that way too. (Ed. Note: This is one recipe that I definitely have to make soon… It’s most certainly a weekend meal!)
- When I cook, I typically need to use a recipe. I am not good at ‘winging it’. I can wing it a lil bit, but not a lot. I’m adjust foods to my own tastes, for example, but I need the basic structure of a recipe to get going. It’s like music. I can only play the piano by reading sheet music. I cannot play by ear, or by just starting to play. I’m a very visional person. I think that’s why.
- I love garlic. I will put garlic in most everything. I really think there is a health benefit to that. And I do love cheese too, and will put that in just about everything too. Almost…
Read Full Post »
Although last night I did throw together some pasta. Even if it was a standard pasta dish for us. Whole wheat rotini with mushrooms, garlic, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes and some brick cheese, with a light cheese sauce. It was pretty tasty, and the leftovers will make for some lunches today. That’s always a plus, in my book.
I actually saved the pasta water, and let it cool down. Then I put it in my watering container for watering my veggies and flowers. I read that suggestion, somewhere… The first time I planned on doing that, I out of habit drained the pasta right into the sink, as usual. Whoops! This time, I did remember to save it. Every lil bit helps, and the plants do need watering…
I lost about five pounds over the past two weeks. I’m not a strict weigher, by any means. More curious how my eating habits affect me overall. I think that with it being summer, we’re eating less pasta and heavier foods, and opting for more veggies and lighter fare, such as sandwiches, wraps and spreads. I’ve also been faithfully having cottage cheese for breakfast at work, and that seems to fill me up in the mornings quite nicely. Now, I’ve just got to get back to doing some Pilates…
I didn’t get to baking the bread yet. Hopefully this weekend. We’ve got a company picnic tomorrow, and it’s supposed to be a great day for it. I doubt I’ll take pictures of the food there, but one never knows…
Read Full Post »
Posted in Lists, tagged Food, Lists on July 21, 2008 |
Leave a Comment »
- Lentil Tomato Feta on Pitas (tonight, most likely)
- Grilled Chicken, Rice with Mushrooms and Broccoli (take chicken out of freezer.)
- Salad, with leftover chicken from above
- Variations on the BLT
- Pesto (See how much this batch ends up making… use and freeze.)
- Grilled Eggplant, maybe in an angel hair pasta, maybe just added along the way…
Read Full Post »