- Tomorrow – Ribeye Steaks with a Mushroom-Blue Cheese-Onion Gravy, Mashed Potatoes (perhaps Garlic) and Acorn Squash. There will also be some Goat Cheese-Filled Croissants and some Pasta Salad for football game nibbles.
- Monday – Cream of Mushroom Soup. I will make this tomorrow and have it all ready for Monday night’s dinner. With Crusty Garlic Bread. Cooler weather is officially here, with the making of the season’s first cream soup.
- Tuesday – Pizza with Artichoke Hearts and Mushrooms. It’s apparently mushroom week here.
- Wednesday / Thursday / Substitute one of the above nights – Leftovers and a whatever-we-feel-like dinner.
Archive for the ‘Menu’ Category
Mr. Food Groove made a delicious batch of chili yesterday… I’ll be posting his recipe shortly, after hopefully remembering to take some pictures of it tomorrow. It was a perfect warm and heartly meal for these turning-to-cool, rainy, gray days. He also found the perfect soft mini sub rolls to go with it… nice and fresh out of the oven!
- Scrambled Eggs and Chili… I’ve never had that combination before, but I’ve heard good things about it, and I’ve got a hankering for it now that it’s in my head.
- Rice and Veggies, possibly with a peanut-tahini sauce of sorts.
- Herbed Chicken Breasts with Steamed Carrots and Couscous… or something along those lines.
I’m going kind of healthy and nothing-spectacular this week. Not that I don’t usually try to do the healthy, but oftentimes I end up with a goodly amount of cheese in there (whatever it is). And, as the fresh veggie season has come to a close and it’s getting cooler, the weekly salad isn’t quite the welcome, fresh dinner that it is in the summertime. So, as the seasons change, so too the menus…
It took me a few days later than I usually like to get this together, but I went through the stock items in the kitchen, and I now have a menu for the rest of the week. It was one of those weekends where the menu planning got away from me… It happens, but I do enjoy when I get it back together. We’ve made it through thus far by nibbling on leftover Macaroni and Cheese from Sunday…
- Wednesday – BBQ Baked Chicken Breasts with Teriyaki Rice and Steamed Carrots (and/or Asparagus)
- Thursday – Black Bean and Yellow Tomato Salsa Burritos
- Friday – Pizza with Mushrooms, Garlic and Artichoke Hearts
That’s as far as I got, and since we’re not yet sure what the weekend will bring, that’s as far as I need to go for now.
Much cooking this weekend, but I was wrong… D. and kiddo decided on a cookfest for today and tomorrow, and that is, of course, fine by me! I’ve got to finish getting a CD together for her, as she is putting together recipes and pictures for a cookbook. I really enjoy having her in the kitchen with us, since we’re all foodies, it’s such fun. Here’s what we did today, followed by our plans for tomorrow…
- Pasta Salad
- Herbed Cream Cheese Spread
- Cheese Straws
- Chocolate Crepes
- Baked Artichoke Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Creamed Corn (with Bacon)
I do have pictures from today, so I will be posted those recipes and tales eventually. We’re still going out of town Wednesday night, but it’s nice to have some material for when we get back home.
Well, I finally have some meals actually planned again, and they’re going to be warm weather eats, i.e. minimal stovetop or oven time. Last week’s dinners really ended up being nibbles… It was so hot and humid outside that we really didn’t have any appetites when dinnertime rolled around. This week, I’m going to have some dishes made in advance and sitting in the fridge, ready to go for 1) when we get hungry, or 2) when we feel we should eat something.
- Lentil Feta Tomato Salad – This will be mostly for lunches. Along with lunchtime strawberries… I’m really enjoying them this year.
- Basil, Tomato, Mozzarella Salad with Orzo – This is a new one I’m trying, as my basil is growing heartily and needs to be used.
- Southwestern Pasta – I may try this one as a cold version… we shall see.
- Salad Fixings
- Burgers – meaning Cheeseburgers, of course. In our house, there is no other kind.
- Leftover Chinese Food
Nothing fancy, nothing extravagent, but the kitchen is stocked, some dishes will be prepped and ready to go, and the strawberries are cut and clean for the munching!
- D.’s Lasagna – He’s started cooking it now, and the maple bacon smells divine! Yes, there’s bacon in his lasagna… It has a white sauce base, along with ground turkey. I’ll write more about it later, but it will feed us for many meals.
- Salad, topped with Blue Cheese Crumbles.
- Black Bean and Mushroom Quesadillas – I didn’t get to try the Black Bean Burgers that I had planned for last week, and I’ve now got a hankering for quesadillas.
- Strawberries – for some nibbling.
- Acorn Squash – for some nibbling too.
And seriously, this will probably take us through the week. I might need one more meal… Maybe something with chicken. We shall see…
- Baked Shrimp in Tomato Feta Sauce – probably over some pasta. I’ve been wanting to try this recipe and today is the day.
- Asparagus Omelette – it’s fresh asparagus season, so I plan on using it quite often these next few weeks.
- Black Bean Burgers
- Chicken, Asparagus and Cashews over Noodles
- Sauteed Veggies (Broccoli, Mushrooms, Zucchini and Garlic) over Brown Rice
- Ham (Delicious!)
- Scrambled Egg and Ham Casserole
- Veggie Casserole
- Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- Cinnamon Rolls (Delicious!)
- Fruit Salad
It was all a lovely brunch… And sometimes there is something to other people cooking and baking and not having to do anything oneself. We just had leftover ham and cheese sandwiches for dinner, and I find myself a bit stuffed once again. We ended up with ham, cinnamon rolls and fruit as leftovers for our own fridge. I’m looking forward to the fruit too… that, like salad, is something I adore… and even more so when someone else does the rinsing and cutting and preparation of it all.
- Some sort of Panini, with Roast Beef, Apples and Onions, and White Cheddar Cheese. It might sound a bit odd, but a co-worker really liked it and gave me a recipe, which I will be adapting a bit.
- Breakfast Buffet, with Goat Cheese Omelettes, Sausage, Biscuits and Gravy, and perhaps some Pancakes for D. We’ve got a bunch of eggs that need some using…
- I’m going to try making some Cheddar and Herb Biscuits too, which might go with the above.
- Stir-Fry Chicken Tenders with Asparagus and Cashews, or Peanuts, depending on what I find.
- Probably a Pasta and Mushrooms with a Light Cream Garlic Sauce.
I didn’t do a whole lot of inspired cooking last week, so I tried to get a good list together before I head out to the grocery store in a bit. Even the freaking salad I had planned on got pushed aside, so that’s definitely in for early next week. Then my parents will arrive here for a visit on Friday, which means pizza that night and going out to dinner on Saturday. We might put together something for a Sunday supper of sorts though… We shall see.
- Eggs Benedict with miscellaneous breakfast fare – this will be tonight.
- Black Bean Burritos – Probably black beans and rice, onion, maybe mushrooms, in a burrito and served with salsa and sour cream. Cheese in there too, of course.
- Ham – If I can find one at the grocery store, D. has dibs on a ham dinner.
- Tortellini with an Alfredo Sauce.
- Hawaiian Ginger Chicken Soup – I just saw this recipe in a magazine this morning, and it looks pretty darn good, so I think I’ll try it this week (or tomorrow).
That’s about it then. Five planned meals usually work out well for us, since we usually work in leftovers or have some room if the mood for something else strikes us. I’ll be headed out to the grocery store in a bit… Will also be looking for an egg poaching pan. We have it on authority that several restaurants will actually use the Knorr mix for their hollandaise sauce… Who knew? So I’m going to look for some of those packets to try them. I once, years ago and before I thoroughly enjoyed playing in the kitchen, tried to make a hollandaise sauce on a whim. It looked easy and I was in the mood for it… I can safely say that it sucked. Tasted completely yucky and I threw it away. Since then, I’ve not tried to make my own hollandaise again. Until now, because time is up and I’ve got to try again. I’ll let you know how it comes out when I do it… Still, I’m not making any promises.
UPDATE: Turns out we will have a young visitor for the day tomorrow…
Bacon Cheeseburgers and Fries have now been added to the menu for tomorrow. Along with another round of making fudge.