This was my first attempt at making biscuits, ever. And I do believe that they came out very nice and biscuity… moist and doughy on the inside with a nice crunch and crispness on the outside. I will be using this recipe quite frequently, as the biscuits were also very simple and quick to bake. And I will be playing around with different flavors and ingredients to these – adding sun-dried tomatoes is but one idea that I have… I just need to remember to have buttermilk on hand more often!
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1+ tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2+ Tbsp fresh Chives, chopped
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp Butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil/grease a cookie sheet.
2. In large bowl, combine flour through red pepper flakes. Next, mix in chives, cheese and buttermilk. Stir until a dough forms. Scoop dough into 1-2 Tbsp-sized balls and place onto cookie sheet. Lightly brush the tops with melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes.
I varied the recipe a little bit from this one. Actually, we had the show on in the background one Sunday morning and they looked particularly yummy and easy. They most definitely are… especially warm with a dollop of butter or even a sliver of goat cheese. Yum…
Here they are in all their doughy glory:
And here is our complete dinner, with Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs… very good!