These crepes were D.’s idea… 1) Because he is the main sweets-eater in the house, and 2) because it was something that we could make with pup and she would like them too. Pup did a great job making the crepe batter, D. cooked the crepes, and I did the clean-up. We made one batch earlier, but those came out too sweet for me. This time, the sweetness was just right and the cocoa powder in the crepe batter complemented that very nicely. We used a cream cheese filling, because that’s what we like. It also chills very nicely in the fridge. It’s been said that the crepes themselves will freeze well, but we haven’t gotten quite that far yet…
- 1-1/2 blocks of Cream Cheese (8-oz packages), softened
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 bag Mini Chocolate Chips
Blend all ingredients together with mixer and set aside.
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cinnamon-Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Using a mixer, slowly add the milk and eggs, blending until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly-oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Pour approximately 1/2 – 3/4 cup of the batter into the skillet and tilt so batter covers the surface. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the bottom is light brown. Using a spatula, flip the crepe to cook the other side for about 1 minute more. Stack crepes and let cool.
3. Put approximately 1/3 cup of the filling onto each crepe and gently roll together. Top with whipped cream, fresh fruit, chocolate sauce and/or powdered sugar. Eat cool or chilled. They are very good as a cold dessert on a warm summer day.
I’m also looking forward to trying these crepes with more of a dinner filling, such as sauteed veggies or a sun-dried tomato cream cheese mixture. I’ll probably omit the cocoa powder for those though. 😉